Things to do
The manager of Villa Simona Oasis has a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will be happy to help arrange activities and day or half-day trips on your behalf. Guests wanting to explore the island can take advantage of a driver and car available for up to eight hours at a special daily rate. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Many of them live nearby and will happily give you an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Bali life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Set on a beachside bluff, The Beach House at Echo Beach offers indoor and outdoor seating, and an extensive international menu, together with a daily barbeque of fresh fish, lobster, giant prawns, clams, steaks and kebabs. Live music on Sunday evenings starts at sunset.
- Old Man’s beer garden, restaurant and live music venue is the perfect place to chill after a surf or a walk on the beach. Cool bands and DJs on weekends and a monthly farmers market featuring local produce. Such a happy place with a ping pong table, cool mural, beach dogs, and friendly staff.
- The quaint local village of Pererenan is where rural life continues as it has for decades and strangers are welcomed with a smile. There are two interesting temples to visit here too, especially intriguing during Hindu festivals (of which there are many in Bali).
- Restaurant-bar-boutique Deus Ex Machina is located en route to Echo Beach. This surprisingly upscale surfer’s haunt serves up authentic Thai and sushi cuisine, sublime cocktails, and occasional live music. The shop sells surfboards and accessories and custom-designed motorcycles.
- Aquamarine Diving is a well-regarded British-owned and managed dive shop running courses and trips throughout Bali. They run PADI dive courses, dive safaris and day dive trips to a number of exciting sites around the island.
- Contemporary Seminyak art gallery Biasa ArtSpace showcases quirky pieces by select, up and upcoming Indonesian artists who master various forms, from paintings, figurines, to enigmatic sculpture and awe-inspiring works. The clothes are fabulous too.
- The Ripcurl School of Surf and board sports centre offers tuition and courses in all levels of surfing, kite surfing, wake-boarding, tow-in-surfing and stand up paddle boarding.
- Dramatically perched on a craggy outcrop that juts into the ocean, the highly venerated sea temple Pura Tanah Lot may resemble Piccadilly Circus late afternoon, but watching the sun slip behind the ancient silhouette and receiving a blessing from a Hindu priest makes it all worthwhile.
- If you’ve always dreamed about galloping along a beach, Bali Horse Adventure, just 2.5km from the villa, can arrange both horse riding tours and children’s riding lessons. They also have a wonderful horse and cart (Bendy and Dokar) to rent out for scenic trips through the countryside.